Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Small Life Lesson

This Blog is completely RANDOM but I felt like sharing......

Funeral Procession

My Nana has given me a many of things and many of them have stayed with me. One of the things that she taught me when I was learning to drive was that when a funeral procession is going by, that you should pull over to the side of the road and let the grieving pass.

As I was driving one day, I saw the flashing lights of the police car that was leading a procession. Once I realized what was going on, I pulled to the side of the road and turned my radio all the way down. As I watched the family of the deceased pass, there was one man on a motorcycle that looked me and nodded his head in appreciation. He Stop and pulled over too. He and I both sat there watching other cars that kept on speeding by, not even thinking about what they were in the midst of.

When the last of the cars passed he nodded again and pulled back on the road. I smiled; I knew that someone saw what I did and was inspired to do the same when they are put in that situation again.

It feels good to know that I can remember the smallest of my Nana's advice, but I can also teach others it’s value as well.

4 comments:

  1. that is interesting, we attended my aunts funeral yesterday in st. louis, and they are sooo respectful of the deceased. the cars pulled over on both sides of the street until we passed. it really caught our attention because you hardly ever see that in chicago. great advice from your nana, niece :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very great advice. I wish more people would follow it, as well as have respect. Some people never learn, and unfortunately some learn too late.
    Hope this finds you well!
    -Renee-

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is confirmation that good people do still exist, I've always been taught the same thing, i remember a couple of year ago as we were on our way to bury my aunt, hardly anyone pulled over, we had a terrible time gettin to the cemetery. I really wish more families would include these lessons when teachin children respect, maybe then they may understand just how far even the smallest kind gesture goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats one the greatest things to do...

    ReplyDelete